Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 301 - Homemade Draft Dodger

Tonight I decided to make a draft dodger to use on our door out to the garage.

I bought some basic rice & split peas for the filling and grabbed a pair of nylons I don't wear any more to fill up.

I mixed the rice and peas in a large baggie (I am not really sure how I decided on this combo and I am not certain it will work, but I went with it. . .)

The easy part about using a nylon to fill up was I was able to pull it all the way over the baggie and pour the filling in.

Then I simply tied a knot on the open end. I ended up making 2 of these - each one with 32 oz. of rice and 16 oz. of peas.


Next I went through our current stack of goodwill donations and found an old shirt of Quinn's (actually one of his favorites - so it was fun to surprise him with a new use for it) that I made a cover out of.

(I don't sew much, so I had to use safety pin to hold everything together - it worked) After some simple stitches everything was ready to go. I slipped the 2 filled nylons into the cover and tied that off into a knot as well.

It didn't turn out perfect, but it was still pretty good and for a total cost of less than $4 it will work for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment