Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 255 - Butternut Squash Soup

Last time my mom came to visit me she brought this gorgeous butternut squash from her friend Ellen

I have never cooked with one before, and it looked good on our dining room table, so I let it be a decoration for a couple of weeks before finally using it tonight.

I decided some soup sounded good, so I looked one line and decided to use this recipe as my guide.

To get started I sliced the squash length-wise

and removed all of the seeds and insides

Then I baked it at 375F in a baking sheet cut-side down with a little water in the pan as well for about 40 minutes.

While the squash baked I sauteed some onions & garlic in butter. Once those cooked a few minutes I added the chicken stock and let that cook for a bit together.

Once the squash was fork tender I removed it front he oven and let it cool a bit, then I sliced the flesh into chucks and added them to the soup

(I didn't have an potatoes, so the squash was star in my soup)

I used my immersion blender and ended up adding about 8 ounces of cream cheese and seasoning the soup with nutmeg, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, a tiny bit of cinnamon and salt and pepper.

I didn't have everything the recipe called for, but that's the great thing about soup. You can just add what you have and throw in other ingredients that sound good to as you go.

The soup turned out yummy, a perfect fall-time meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment