Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 257 - Homemade Donuts

It's no secret that I love doughnuts, so tonight I thought it would be fun to try to make my own. I recently learned of a recipe for 'Krispy Kream' - like doughnuts, "Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts" from our family friend Ellen.

Ingredients (I adjusted the recipe to only make 9 servings):

Doughnuts
1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 eggs
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons shortening
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Glaze
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water or as needed

Making the dough . . .



Time to let the dough rise

After the dough doubled (about an hour) roll it out and cut out your doughnuts

I don't have cutters for this, so I used a glass and a cherry/olive pitter . . . (yes I have this, but no biscuit/doughnut cutters)

As I was letting my cut doughnuts rise I brought some vegetable oil to temperature, 350 F and then got to frying

As I was cooking the doughnuts I flipped them a couple of time so they didn't over brown and then when they looked all ready I cooled them on a cookie drying rack

For the glaze, I went through 2 versions, the first was pretty thick and then I added more water to thin it out and make more of a glaze - both were tasty.

Overall I was pretty happy with my doughnuts. I don't think I have the dough enough time to rise in each step though because my doughnuts were a bit more dense than I would of preferred, but still yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment