Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 313 - Cactus Fruit

Tonight I tried a cactus fruit (or prickly pear)

I noticed them at the grocery store and thought they looked interesting so I picked up a package and once at home and ready to give them a try I turned to my handy produce book.

Since these fruits are from a cactus they can still have sharp skin, even after they are prepared to be sold in the store, so my book said to use a fork to hold the fruit in place and then to cut off the top & bottom skin and then to go around an peel the sides all using a sharp knife.

The inside of the fruit was very unusual, unlike anything I had eaten before, which made me a little skeptical about eating it - But again thanks to the produce book and the picture of the fruit that looked just like my piece of fruit made be believe it was safe to try.

It was sweet (not too sweet, just a hint of sweetness) and interesting. The texture is a cross between a watermelon and a pear and the seeds inside are all edible (but I must admit I tried to avoid them) the book said they would be crunchy, but they seemed just hard and strange to me.

I'm glad I tried this fruit - not sure if I will buy it again, but if I come across it on a menu sometime or in a tropical drink I will be comfortable ordering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment