Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 320 - Cupcake Class

A while ago my neighbor asked if I would interested in teaching a little cupcake class at a church in our neighborhood. They offer tons of great classes and all of the teachers volunteer their time and in return we get to take any classes no cost (otherwise it is a $15 fee for any number of classes you take - still a great deal). This is actually where I learned to knit at the beginning of this year and thought it would be fun to give back to the community (although, I am by no means a cup cake pro, I do enjoy making them and have some tricks I've learned that I decided I could share with others.)

So I agreed, before I was so pregnant :) but the class went great. The turn out was fantastic with about 25 people there - people who weren't even signed up still showed up and luckily I had just enough cupcakes and supplies!

I started off by sharing a few cupcake baking tips and sharing some of my favorite books & gadgets.

Hello, Cupcake! by Karen Tack, Alan Richardson
Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes by Martha Stewart Living Magazine
Cupcakes: Luscious bakeshop favorites from your home kitchen by Shelly Kaldunski

Then I had planned out 6 stations where everyone could practice & learn a new skill for decorating cupcakes and this was the main portion of the class. Here are my 6 samples I made for each station:

(clockwise from top left: Decorating with Candies & Extras, Frosting Swirl, Filled Cupcakes, Melting Wafers, Edging with Sanding Sugar and Frosting Dipped.)

It was fun to share the tricks & ideas I have learned in the last couple of years and I really feel like all of the ladies who took the class learned something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment