Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 227 - Chicken (flattened and rolled up) Fontina

I have been wanting to try cooking chicken in, more interesting ways lately (you can only grill chicken so many nights in a row . . .) and one thing I had never done before tonight was to pound out a chicken breast (or any meat for that matter) and use the thinner version to prepare something new.

While I grocery shopping tonight, I remembered my friend Anne mentioning a recipe a while ago that was some type of pounded out meat. I wasn't able to get in touch with her tonight, so I took what I remembered from her and made up my own creation.

Ingredients (for 2):
2 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
Marinara sauce (only about 4 table spoons)
6 large basil leaves
Shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 cup)
Fontina cheese (I probably used 2 ounces)
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper
Tooth picks

Preheat oven to 350. First I placed a piece of wax paper on top of my cutting board, then a chicken breast and then another piece of wax paper to cover the top of the chicken.

I unfortunately don't own a meat tenderizer or mallet, so I got creative and used my new frying pan to flatten each breast.

Once I had the chicken pounded out, I salt & peppered one side and added a little garlic powder, then added a little marinara, sprinkled some mozzarella cheese, added the basil leafs and lastly pulled apart some fontina cheese and added that too.

Once all the fillings were in place, I carefully rolled each chicken breast and secured the roll with a couple of wooden tooth picks.

I baked the chicken at 350 for about 35 minutes.

The meal was delicious. I love finding new, interesting ways to cook things we eat so often, like chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment