Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 241 - Stuffed Mushrooms (a new combination)

One of my favorite, quick appetizers or side dishes is stuffed mushrooms. I have a couple of recipes that I have used in the past, but tonight, I had some ingredients in our fridge that I wanted to use up, so I made up a new variety with Fontina Cheese, garlic and white truffle oil

Before you get started you will preheat the oven to 375 or 400F. First I shredded about a half cup of cheese and mixed it with an equal amount of Italian bread crumbs then I mixed in 1/2 of a finely diced onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic. I also added some extra Italian seasoning (about 1 tablespoon) and salt & cracked black pepper to taste.

Next I set the mixture aside and prepared the mushrooms. I used baby portabellas (great deal at Costco this week). I rinsed the bunch of them and then wiped the tops on a clean dry towel and removed the stems

Next I covered a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up and lightly tossed the mushroom tops in a little olive oil.

Next I filled each mushroom with the cheese & bread crumb mixture and always make sure to pack in the filling really good.

Bake for 40-50 minutes

After the first 30-35 minutes, check on the mushrooms every 5 minutes or so and when the mixture is all absorbed with the juice from the mushrooms and the cheese is melted and yummy looking they are ready

To make these ones extra special I drizzled a touch of olive oil over each one before serving.

This recipe is so simple and easy to do with any type of cheese & bread crumbs. (the proportions I used made lots of extra, so check back soon for a new recipe later in the week to use up the leftovers)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment