Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 187 - Homemade Cole-Slaw

This week we got a head of green cabbage in our organic produce delivery and on top of everything else we had, weren't sure what to make with it. I searched the Food Network for ideas and quickly decided on cole-slaw. It's a summer-time favorite and looked simple (which is was, especially using my food processor)

Click HERE for the Bobby Flay recipe.

Ingredients:


1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons sugar, (I added a tiny bit more to taste)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons celery salt
Salt and freshly ground pepper

After I washed & peeled the carrots and cleaned the cabbage, removing the outside leaves and cutting off the stem, I was ready to get started.

First I added the carrots & cabbage to the food processor. I have an 8 cup processor and there was just enough room.

The I poured the shredded veggies into a separate bowl, whipped down the processor and added all the flavoring & sauce ingredients (mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery salt, salt, and pepper) to the food processor to mix.

Once well combined I poured the mixture over the shredded carrots & cabbage and mixed well.

The cole-slaw was very fresh and delicious. I put it all in the fridge to chill for an hour or two and to let the veggies soak up the different flavors and it was even better after a little time had passed.

I am sure I will make this recipe for a cook out or picnic again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment