Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 207 - Tissue Paper Pom-Poms

I've noticed these fun tissue paper pom-poms on blogs, Etsy and magazines and thought it would be fun to try out making them. I also told my sister, Janelle about them recently and while she was at my house this past Friday she made a few. I didn't get a chance to make one when she was here so tonight I gave it a whirl.

Click HERE or HERE for some examples of other blogs that have made these.

I found a few different sites with directions, and decided to follow these Martha Stewart steps. Also, a couple of days ago I was at US toy to pick up some gift wrap and got a few packages of tissue papaer for this project (10 sheets for 79 cents a pack). I had some wire in my craft supplies and used black thread to hang the finished product.

First, I took 8 shhets of paper and accordion folded them with about a 1 and a half inch strip. I think next time I am makeing these for an event I will use a ruler or something like that to keep each fold exactly the same, but for tonight the free-formed version was great. Once the folds were complete I wrapped and twisted a wire around the center and traced a half circle (using a soup can) and cut a rounded edge to finish the ends.

Next I gently pulled back each layer, one at a time and was careful to fluff out the ends too

In no time, All layers were out. I then pulled back a couple layers so that I could twist a loop out of the wire ends to attach some string to, to hang the finished pom-pom

To see how it looked, I hung the one pom-pom over our table and thought it was pretty neat. Such a simple and affordable decoration.

Next, time when I make these for a party or event, I will make a variety of sizes and fun colors.

This one pom-pom took about 15 minutes from start to finsih and only cost 0.79 - Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment