Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 189 - Quinoa

Have you ever heard of or made Quinoa before?

Well, until tonight I hadn't either.

I have noticed Quinoa on menus, blogs and cooking shows over the last couple of months, but have never tried it. So last time we were at the grocery store I decided to add it to our list and give it a try.

For preparation, I had a pre-soaked type (which saves a lot of time). So all I had to do was boil it in the correct proportions of water to Quinoa (similar to rice- I think next time I might try some chicken stock with or instead of the water for a different flavor,the package also suggested toasting it before adding the water.) Once it came to a boil, I let it simmer until all the water evaporated or was absorbed.

Unlike rice, you do not cover the pan.

Basically, it's a lot like a fluffy rice, with a bit of a nutty flavor to it. now that I have tried it, I can think up countless ways you can use this in all sorts of meals. Tonight I simply added some to my salad.

It's very high in protein and added a different flavor and texture. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment