Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 182 - Patriotic Paper Wreath

In honor of the upcoming Fourth of July Holiday and the other red, white & blue holidays I thought it would be fun to have something patriotic to hang on our front door and I decided to take the paper-pin wheels I made a few weeks ago to the next level.

I bought some festive craft paper, push pins, coordinating ribbon and a Styrofoam wreath form and already had the glue & scissors that I needed and I was all set.

First I used a dab of glue and a push pin to secure the beginning of the ribbon to the wreath. Then, I simply wrapped the ribbon to cover the entire wreath

Next I got all my pin-wheels ready. I cut them all in about 2 1/2 inch strips and then put a strip of about 1 inch card stock along the back for extra support. Then I finished the outside edge with my zig-zag scissors and scored a line between each zig-zag (the scoring seriously, makes everything go fast and turn out better). I made a total of 8 pin wheels and used 2 different patterns of paper (4 of each)

As all the pin-wheels were assembled and drying I cut several sizes of circles and used my star-hole punch to make red, white & blue stars

Now that all the pieces are ready I was all set to assemble my wreath. First I put a dab of glue on the back of each pin-wheel and secured each one through the center by pushing a pin through the pin-wheel into the wreath form.

Next I covered the center of each pin wheel with a red, white or blue circle

And then a second circle, of a different color, that I placed slight off center

Once all the pin-wheels and circles were in place it was starting to look pretty good, but needed something a little extra, so I used more push pins to place a few more circles, that I left a bit raised, between the pin-wheels.

I first pushed the circle through the pin, then the pin through the wreath form and finally attached a star to the circle & push pin.

Lastly, I added an extra loop of ribbon to hang the wreath from

Here is the finished product on our front door.

1 comment:

  1. I want one! So cute and creative! I think you need to sell all of the holiday stuff you make (:

    ReplyDelete