Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 169 - Paper Flower Pin-Wheels

A few weeks ago, I saw a project on another blog - complete with a video tutorial on how to make 'fan-folded flowers' Here is the link to that site at Little Birdie Secrets blog.

Every since I saw them, I thought they were fun and wanted to make some of my own. I didn't have all the exact same materials that they used and just made do with stuff I already had.

Supplies:
Pretty paper (I didn't have 2-sided, so I glued 2 together)
Edging scissors
Circle cutter
Paper cutter
Butter knife (to score lines for folding)
Straight edge (to score lines for folding)
Cutting mat (any protective surface for scoring lines)
Glue
Buttons & other embellishments

First, I glued a piece of lightweight card stock paper to back of my decorative sheets of paper (to create a 2-sided craft paper). You can also buy 2 sided paper at most craft stores, but I didn't have any so I made my own.

Next, I cut the paper into strips. I made enough for 3 flowers - all different sizes. I made one with a 2 inch width (and used a 12" and 6" length section), one 2.5 inch width and one 3 inch width (for both of these I used 2 - 12" long strips).

Once all the strips were cut I carefully used my edging scissors and cut along one length of each strip. This will make a fun edge for the flowers and provide guide lines on where to fold.

You can either just fold - or first score some lines on where your folds will be - I tried both and I would recommend the scoring - it turned out much cleaner. To score I simply used the back of a butter knife against the back side of my paper strips and made evenly spaced lines. For this one with the zig-zag, I scored a line at every other point.

Next, fold the edges back & forth (like you are making a paper fan.) Then glue together the 2 strips of like-paper to make 3 long strips.

You will then glue again to connect the other edge - forming a ring. Also, when glues - I over lapped my edges to match the fold pattern and provide enough surface for a strong hold.

While I set the paper rings aside to dry, I cut various circles to secure the paper flowers. I used 1 for the back of each flower and 2 coordinating circles for the centers of the fronts of the flowers - Make sure the one you want in the center is smaller and feel free to trim out the edges or add glitter or whatever - to each circle.

Next - put a dab of glue on the circle for the support for the back of the flower. Then, flatten your paper ring to form the flower pin-wheel (this was my favorite part).

Place the paper circle on the back of the flower and hold for about 30 seconds, until secure.

Carefully flip your flower over and repeat this process with the front paper circles.

Once dried you can add buttons or any other embellishments you want to your flowers.

This project was very simple & I love the results. I am not sure what I am going to use my paper flowers for . . . for now I think I will set them on my fireplace and admire them.

Some ideas on what to use these for:

Cards
Scrapbooks
Gift wrapping
Wreath (place them along a form)
Garlands . . .

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment