Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 172 - Shoe Bling

I made my first ribbon flowers to use on some plain shoes . . . I just made it up as I went and learned a lot in the process.

Materials:

Ribbon (I used 2 - 24 inch long pieces)
Scissors
Glue (that dries clear)
Needle & Thread
Clip on earring set (or other way to attach to shoe)
Ruler
Something pretty for center of flowers

Lately I have noticed a lot of these fabric flowers at stores, on pillows, headbands, clothes and much more, so I decided to make some of my own. A lot of the ones I like have a frayed edge, so first I trimmed off one end of the length of ribbon (this however ended up being a bad idea and I had to use a lighter to stop the fray - so if you want the frayed edge use fabric - not ribbon)

Next I folded over one edge and sewed it over

Then I continued to stitch all the way along the edge of the ribbon (the non-frayed end).

Once I got to the end of the ribbon I gently pulled the thread pack and squished the fabric together

Until it formed a flower-shape. I then adjusted the ribbon a bit more to get a nice even flower. Mine had about 2 layers of ribbon.

Next, I decided which end would be the front and which would be the back before attaching the clip to the back of the flower

I held gently for several seconds (once dry - go back and secure it even better with a few stitches)

Now it is time to attach these little gold pieces (I found at an antique/vintage store) to the fronts of each flower (I would also recommend sewing a few stitches to hold these in place)

All set!

Now clip them on a pair of shoes (or a headband, a purse - get creative)


Also, tonight was my sisters Michelle's 21st birthday celebration kick-off. She turns 21 at midnight so I went out with her and about 20 of her friends for dinner & drinks at Blue downtown (they are all going to her hour of power later - I am going to sleep)


No comments:

Post a Comment