Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 179 - LIAM Letters

Tonight I worked on a project for my godson & nephew Liam. My sister & brother in-law (Liam's parents) bought letters to decorate Liam's room before he was born and they told me they didn't love what they found, so I decided to make some custome letters for him.

Here are the supplies I started with:

(I ended up using a regular office stapler - the other one was too heavy duty and the staples were all too deep. I also used Sobo craft glue that is not pictures either)

First I trimmed a piece of white felt and wrapped each letter using a combination of glue and staples

The backs of the letters didn't look too impressive, but once I had them wrapped and turned them over everything looked great

It took a bit longer than I anticipated to get this first step done (about an hour for all 4 letters). The 'I' obviously went much quicker than the 'M' so depending on the name or word it could take more or less time.

I repeated the same process with the fabric I found to coordinate with Liam's room

A few tips here are to make sure, if the fabric has a pattern, that you place the letter the same direction for each one. Also, I held first glued each section and held it in place for about a minute before placing a staple to secure the fabric

I also have some ribbon to hang the letters and will attach that to the back of the letters. The final step will be to trace another piece of felt to back each letter - this piece won't wrap like the 2 front layers, but will just cover the back and give a nice finish, plus protect the wall. The reason I am waiting for this finalstep is because I want to see how these work first (we may decide to do a different fabric and once I see them in the room we can decide what color of ribbon to hang them from).

1 comment:

  1. I have not been on here in a while! I have neglected my own blog also ): Anyhow...I LOVE the Liam letters!!!!! Man he sure has an AWESOME god momma!!! We Love You!

    ReplyDelete