Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 168 - we got the BEET!

In addition to the pluot, our Door to Door Organic delivery this week included beets. Fresh beets. I am pretty sure I have never tried beets and am certain I have never made anything with them so tonight I was excited to try this recipe, Roasted Beets & Sweets.

Ingredients: (I halved the recipe)

6 medium beets, peeled and cut into
chunks
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into
chunks
1 large sweet onion, chopped

Another item I have never used in my own cooking is sweet potatoes so this recipe was a double first. Quinn picked these up for me after work and he wasn't positive if they were yams or sweet potatoes . . .

I looked in my produce book and judging by the final result, they seemed to be sweet potatoes - do you know how to tell?

First I preheated the oven & prepared the beets. I peeled them using a regular veggie peeler, then I chopped off the tops and gave them a good rinse.

I might of chopped them a bit too small - and next time will leave them a bit larger, but the recipe still turned out great. Once all the beets were ready I tossed them in some of the olive oil and baked them alone for 15 minutes at 400F

While the beets were baking I prepared the sweet potatoes & onions. Have you ever made anything with sweet potatoes at home? They are such a pretty color of orange once you peel the outer skin away.

After the beets cooked for 15 minutes I took out the baking pan and carefully (the pan is hot) added the other vegetables, remaining olive oil, garlic powder, kosher salt, ground black pepper and sugar. Then I but the mixture back into the oven and baked for an additional 45 minutes - mixing after 20 minutes.

The dish was delicious. The vegetable roasted and the flavors balanced each other so well.

I wasn't sure if Quinn was going to like it, but I was wrong - he loved it and said we needed to make it a regular dish and I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

  1. I thought yams and sweet potatoes were the same thing?? But I've never known either - off to google now :)

    ReplyDelete