Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 69 - Oysters

This is an oyster up close

- kind of disgusting.

Tonight after work Q and I headed to one of our favorite KC restaurants, Bristol, for happy hour. We rarely ever go to happy hour, but I have been wanting to try oysters for a while now and they are only 75 cents a piece from 4-6PM on week days & I love a good deal - so to happy hour we went. We ordered 6 shucked oysters and some calamari (the calamari was going to be the chaser for the oyster I was determined to try).

I was pretty nervous, but wanted to get it over with, so as soon as the waiter served us our slimy snack I put a little cocktail sauce on the smallest one on the plate and went for it . . .

ah ha ha, this picture keeps making me laugh! I actually stopped mid-attempt to ask Quinn what I was suppose to do once it was in my mouth - do I chew it a bit or swallow it whole? Then I just went for it, gave it a couple of bites and then swallowed it. I like it. I was so surprised that I actually like it, but I did :) I only planned on eating one and I did end up having another - but decided to stop at 2.

Quinn enjoyed his 4 oysters like an old pro (I think this was his fourth time eating oysters)

My first time eating oyster and I am still smiling :)

*In full disclosure, I do slightly remember a time when I was pretty young, maybe 10? When my dad was having oysters at home. One way or another (not sure if it was my idea or my dads) I ended up trying one, but as soon as it was in my mouth I spit it out into the trash. I remember I thought it felt like it was alive & 'swimming' in my mouth. Today went much better!*

1 comment: