Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 78 - Glitter Eggs

Hooray for Friday!

We started our night with a fun & relaxing dinner at our good friend's Charlie & Amy's and it was even more enjoyable because other friends, John & Cecily were in town for a visit and it was so nice to catch up over a a tasty dinner of grilled cheese sandwiches & delicious tomato soup (thanks Amy). We also had a lot of fun watching their little ones, Audrey & Fulton play a bit - so adorable! I wish I would of thought to snap a quick picture of them. We didn't stay too late because I still had something new to do . . . make glitter Easter eggs!

This is a project I had been wanting to do for a while so after work I bought the supplies I didn't already have - paper mache eggs & more glitter (I had some, but not enough fun Easter, spring colors). The eggs were 50% off and cost me $0.35 each and I had a 40% off coupon for the glitter - love a deal :)

Supplies:

Paper mache eggs
Glitter
Craft glue
White paint
Paint brush
Card stock paper (or something else to sprinkle glitter over)

After I chose a few colors of glitter for my eggs, I then painted the eggs with 2 coats of white paint (I figured the glitter would look best with this, but am not sure it was necessary).

Once the paint dried it was glitter time. I cut up part of an egg-carton & used it for the drying rack. I also folded a few pieces of card stock in half, one for each glitter color to do the glittering over so I could easily pour the excess back into each container and avoid mixing any colors.

I painted the craft glue onto the top half of each egg and glittered as I went, setting them in my egg-carton drying rack to dry.

After about 30 minutes I went back and applied glue to the other half of each egg and applied the rest of the glitter. I then set them on parchment paper to dry

I have a craft night planned with some girlfriends soon and will do some more eggs then and find a pretty container to display these in.

Also, does any one have a suggestion on what to do so the glitter stays set and doesn't come off? I am thinking of testing out a clear spray gloss - please let me know if you think this will work or if you have a better idea.

(Update - I ended up spraying each eggwith a couple coats of clear spray and it worked great)


I love glitter - it may be messy, but it makes me smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment