Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 75 - Oh My a GREEN Key Lime Pie

Tonight I made a dessert for our St. Patrick's Day feast tomorrow, key lime pie (I decided since limes are green it would be a good one for the holiday).

I have about 6 good cook books and usually at least 1 of them always has what I am looking for - but after checking each one for key lime pie I was in shock that not-a-one had that recipe so I turned to the internet where I selected one from the food network by Paula Dean. One reason I particularly like this recipe is that it is topped with meringue, which I decided I would make green. Also, I made a few slight adjustments to her recipe, but you can click here to link directly to it

Ingredients:

Crust:
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (I chopped must very fine but left some larger pieces)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (roughly chopped)

Filing:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Key lime juice (juice of 3 limes - I used regular limes and not key limes)
2 teaspoons grated lime zest (zest of 3 limes)
2 yolks

Meringue
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
green food coloring

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, combine ingredients and pat down into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove & let cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, combine the milk, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon zest; blend in the egg yolks. Pour the filling into the crust. (it seemed like there wasn't much filling - next time I may double this - I will update after we eat it tomorrow).

For the meringue, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, food coloring (optional) and remaining teaspoon zest until the mixture is stiff. Pipe the meringue on top of the filling, or just carefully spread. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.

Here it is, my Key Lime pie (made with regualr limes - next time I will get the real thing)

I will admit, the green is a bit strange, but so festive & fun ~ if you are going to eat a green pie, it should be on St. Patrick's Day :)

2 comments: