Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 117 - A Sweet little Onesie

Last week, I finished a second pair of booties.

Lots of our friends have babies on the way (and some that were just born!) so I figured I should keep making these and have them ready for gifts.

The booties are pretty cute but I decided just sending booties is not enough and tonight I made my a coordinating onesie to go with this yellow & pale pink pair.

Last night I took my booties with me and bought a couple different, fun fabrics, some iron on sewing adhesive and some needlepoint threads (not sure what the right word is for this stuff). I also bought some plain white onesies, got out my iron, a needle and some scissors and I was all set.

Tonight after my knitting group met, I got home & got to work (we had a pot luck for the end of our session until we will be meeting again in the fall and it was a really nice time).

First, I cut a small piece of fabric and sewing adhesive and attached one side of the adhesive to the fabric with my iron. (I just followed the instruction on the package)

Now that the fabric & adhesive was attached I could sketch a pattern, and cut it all out. I decided to free hand a music note because this set is going to some friends of ours who just had their first baby last weekend, a little girl and the new mommy was a music major in college & is a lovely singer.

Once it was all cut out I peeled off the other side of the adhesive and placed the music note onto the onesie. I set a towel over this and ironed it to set it in place.

I could of stopped here - it looked pretty adorable, but it was all yellow and the booties were pink & yellow so I kept going.

Next I took my thread and cut a long piece and then separated the strands and used 3 strands (there is a total of 6, but that seemed like too many for this project) to hand stitch around the music note

I stitched little 'x' stitches all the way around (this was the most time consuming part of the project and took about an hour - everything else only took 20 minutes). Also, I would like to point out that I have never taken a sewing class or been taught how to sew - so it is anything but perfect - however I do love the end result.

I used some card stock scraps, a hole punch, some ribbon and a safety pin to attach washing instructions to both the booties and onesie.

Then I was all set to package it up and send it off to our friends.

I loved this project - even the hand stitching around the music note, but next time I may try a sewing machine to ensure the image is secure and then maybe go back around by hand for a nice detail.

5 comments:

  1. This is a REALLY cute idea. You could actually start a little side business (time permitting) to do this for other people that aren't friends. You could make little hats too, maybe with cute silk flowers for girls. You're uber creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet - everything turned out darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as always. proud to call you my friend......you are so beautifully talented and i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks adorable! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So precious! Those look great! You should start an etsy store! :)

    ReplyDelete