Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 38 - 2 New Recipes (Quesadilla's)

My favorite thing about Super Bowl Sunday is the food (followed closely by the commercials). I found 2 quesadilla recipe's on the Martha Stewart web site that sounded delicious, Black Bean & Goat Cheese and Steak & Pepper Jack Cheese.

I started with the Steak ones.

Ingredients:
1 strip steak (8 ounces and 1 inch thick)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 teaspoons olive oil
4 flour tortillas (10-inch or burrito-style)
1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese (6 ounces)
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

First I rubbed the steaks with dried oregano, salt & pepper and then cooked them in a lightly oiled skillet

After I let the steaks rest a few minutes (while I chopped & diced the other ingredients) It was time to assemble them. These were very simple: Pepper Jack, red onion and the cubed steak - I also had some fresh oregano from the other recipe so I added some of that as well.

Once they were all put together I brushed on a little olive oil and baked at 425F for about 6 minutes an each side. Here is the finished steak quesadilla's

Black Bean & Goat Cheese Quesadilla's

Ingredients:
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
1 medium tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn) - I used canned corn
2 scallions, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
10 six-inch corn tortillas

First I added the black beans and mushed them a bit. Then, to the beans, I added the corn, tomato, scallionas, oregano (and some fresh cilantro I happened to have) and tossed that together. Lastly I added the goat cheese and a bit of salt & pepper and mixed it all together

This mixture was delicious on it's own and I will probably reuse just this part of the recipe as a chip & salsa appetizer in the future.

I spooned some of the mixture onto the corn tortilla's and cooked them in the same skillet as I used for the steak on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes per side. Here they are all ready to serve

Other Firsts: My mom recently bought me this festive table cloth that I used for the first time tonight, it worked great for our fiesta-style food!

No comments:

Post a Comment