Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 32 - A New way to Yoga (Bikram)

Can you believe it is already the second month of 2010? Yipee for my first month of firsts - I am pretty sure this is the first time in my life that I did something new everyday for an entire month, I am off to a great start ;)

This morning I headed to Omaha for some work meetings, which is always a nice trip to take since I get to stay with my parents. Also, a few of the firsts I have been wanting to try are Omaha-related, so I was excited to check another one off the list.

I have been practicing yoga, regularly for over 3 years now. The studio I practice at, Inspire Yoga, is fantastic and offerers a wide variety of classes, but one type of yoga I have been curious about for a while, that is not offered at my regular studio, is Bikram - it is 26 specific poses that are performed in a heated room (around 105F and 40% humidity).

Since my studio in Kansas doesn't offer this I thought it would be great to try it at the other studio I have spent some time at, One Tree Yoga in Omaha - they primarily offer Bikram with a few other varieties mixed into the schedule. After wrapping up my day at the MSI office in Omaha I was off to my first Bikram class and feeling a bit nervous. Although I have been practicing for a while now - there is just something about being in a room with a group of strangers and doing something totally new.

But, once I unrolled my mat and began the class all the anxiety I was feeling washed away. The instructor was excellent and although I had never done the specific Bikram sequence before - I had done each of the poses. I still really enjoy the style of classes I usually go to (vinyasa flow and occasionally hatha), but now I know what this whole Bikram thing is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment