Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 37 - Eggs Benedict (first time making poached eggs and Hollandaise too)

Last weekend after Quinn and I ran the groundhog run we went to brunch where I almost ordered the eggs Benedict (a long time favorite of mine) but then I made a last minute decision and went with biscuits & gravy (another favorite and after finishing the run I felt like I earned it.) Anyways, ever since last weekend and passing on the eggs Benedict I have been craving it so I decided to try and make it at home.

I pulled out my Betty Crocker cook book and started with the Hollandaise sauce.

Ingredients:
3 Egg yolks
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 cup of butter

It is a quick sauce to make, but takes your complete attention. I was a little nervous as I read the instructions since it was listing ways to 'save' the sauce should it start to curdle. My extra caution was worth it and the Hollandaise turned out smooth and delicious (no saving required). Here is a quick picture I snapped as I started to whisk in the butter.

Next I put the Canadian bacon slices on a skillet to warm them a bit and popped the English muffins into the toaster (as I am writing this I am realizing for the first time what a 'cultural' dish this is . . . Hollandaise, Canadian bacon and English muffins ;) As those cooked away I went to poach the eggs. I first brought the water to a boil and then turned it down to a simmer just before adding the eggs. I was a little concerned about this step too and figured worst case - I could also just pan fry the eggs, but much to my surprise - it is not that difficult to poach an egg.

Here is one cooking away

Ta dah! Now it's time to enjoy!

And after cleaning up from breakfast I made some Valentines M&M cookies (not a first, but they looked so good I had to snap a pic of these too) to share with Quinn's family who all came to town to meet our new niece and celebrate Mia's 6th birthday.

Other Firsts: After the kids were in bed we played a new game Imaginiff. It was a fun one!

No comments:

Post a Comment