Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 57 - Patatas Bravas

Tonight was a 'Wine Night' and the selection was sangria. We split up in teams of 2 and ended up with 4 very different, very tasty sangria's. To go with the Spanish drinks Anne made spinach & cheese enchiladas and had some other festive, delicious foods. Since I am doing something new each day and have made sangria before I offered to make a side dish. Two of my favorite restaurants (one in Omaha and one in KC) are places that serve Spanish tapas and at both places I usually get Patatas Bravas so tonight I decided to make this on my own. I had almost all the ingredients on hand and only had to pick up some potato's (1.99 for a whole bag - we always buy them individually because we only need a few, but this was such a great deal and another first)

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons of olive oil
6 Russet potatoes, peeled, and cut to cubes
2 tablespoons minced onion (I used about 1/2 onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1 teaspoon ground thyme
3/4 cup (4 fl. oz) Ketchup
3/4 cup (4 fl. oz) Miracle Whip
Additional olive oil , to cook the potato's

To begin, I scrubbed, peeled & cubed the potato's

Next I put a good amount of olive oil into the pan at med-high heat. After adding some salt & pepper to the potato's I added them so they could begin to cook while I worked on the sauce

For the sauce I first added about 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a new pan and let the onions cook down for about 3 minutes ,I then added the garlic and cooked another couple of minutes. I then turned off the heat and added the thyme, paprika, parsley & Tabasco and mixed well

I transferred the mixture into a larger bowl and added the ketchup & Miracle Whip

As the potato's cooked I stirred occasionally and after about 20 minutes they were ready (fork tender) and the potato's went into the bowl with the 'Bravas' sauce







This was a very simple dish and it turned out great. Next time I will use a different pan to cook the potato's in - something that won't stick so I can get a better crisp on them.

Other Firsts: I bought a whole bag of potato's for the first time . . . look out for more potato-based meals soon :)

1 comment:

  1. i know i should be commenting on the topic of your blog.........but you are RADIANT in that photo girlfriend.........just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

    thanks for hanging with me and my momma and case sunday night........ you ARE the BESTEST :)

    ReplyDelete