Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 123 - Home-Made Hummus (Roasted Red Pepper Hummus)

Tonight, I made hummus. It was so simple and yummy too! Over the weekend we were out with some friends and a few people were having hummus when someone suggested I make it sometime for my blog. It seemed easy enough so tonight I did.

I looked at a few recipes on line to get the idea of what goes into a hummus and then made up my own version as I went along. Some recipes listed Tahini as an ingredient, which can either be made or purchased. I did not have this in my recipe tonight but want to include it here so I can make a note to try it for next time!

I made a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Ingredients:

1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - same thing. My can was 15.5 oz., rinsed under cold water
1/3 cup liquid from can of chickpeas, I poured off 1/3 cup and drained the rest.
3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
1 red pepper, roasted (canned work too)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt, to taste
olive oil, to taste & consistency

First I roasted my red pepper. You can do this in the oven with the boiler on high or, if you have a gas stove you can set the pepper right on the burner over the direct flame (I only do this when I am only roasting 1 pepper - for multiple peppers I always use the oven). Turn the pepper a few times and in about 5 minutes - you should have a chard, roasted pepper. I then poked a couple holes in it and set it aside to cool. Lastly I ran the roasted pepper under cool running tap water to remove the skins and then diced it.

Next I poured off some of garbanzo beans liquid, about 1/3 of a cup and set that aside. I then drained them and ran some water over them to rinse them well

Now I just had to combine everything. I used my food processor, which worked perfectly. I first added the garbanzo beans, chopped garlic, lemon juice and a little olive oil, once I pulsed those together a couple of times I added a pinch of salt and the roasted red pepper

I ran everything together until it was well blended and pured into a serving bowl.

I served this with a sliced baguette that I had drizzled a bit of olive oil over and toasted for about 5 minutes.

This recipe was so easy and I am looking forward to trying other varieties of hummus at home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment