Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 144 - Fava Beans

One of the items in our organic produce delivery last week was fave beans.

I have never tried fava beans before, let alone prepared them. Tonight, when I made these - I didn't know what I was getting myself into, there were several steps involved in the process, but nothing too difficult or time consuming - when all was said and done it took about 20 minutes. Luckily I also had my handy produce book that gave me easy, simple instructions to follow

Step 1. Slice off the tops

Step 2. Separate pods at seam

Step 3. Boil for 30 seconds in slightly salty water

Step 4. Drain & put beans directly into an ice water bath

Step 5. Peel back outer skin with finger nail or small knife


Step 5. Cook beans in a little olive oil & salt. I also added 1 clove of garlic. I tossed the beans with these 3 ingredients for about 5 minutes at medium heat

Step 6. Enjoy

The end result was an interesting flavor. They had a nutty taste and were pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment