Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 137 - When Life Hands you Lemons . . .

Make Lemonade!!

My original plan for my something new tonight was to hem a new pair of yoga pants on a sewing machine. (I have actually never sewn a hem before - by hand or machine.) One time, I did buy the iron hem stuff for a skirt and that seemed to work pretty good, but I know sewing would be better.

So tonight, when my good friend (and almost neighbor) Anne called to see if I wanted to hang out, I asked if we could drink some wine & use her sewing machine to hem some pants - she said absolutely. I walked over and found Anne at her dinning room table trying to re-remember how to work her sewing machine.

She gave it her best effort and this was clear by the fact that my wine was almost gone and she had hardly touched hers . . .

After a while I also attempted to get the machine working, but didn't have much luck either (something with the bobbin was getting caught when the needle tried to catch it and pull it up), so we decided to save it for another day and just sat and talked for a while before I headed back home and had to find another first for the night . . .

I had some left over lemons from when I made the strawberry jam (I bought 6, but only need 2) and had been wondering what to do with them - I decided on lemonade :) I have always wanted to make lemonade from scratch. I looked at a few recipes on line and then got to mixing

Lemonade

Ingredients:

1 cups sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1 & 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup lime juice
6 cups cold water

Optional - sliced lemon and/or mint sprigs, for garnish

First, in a pitcher, I added the sugar and hot water and stirred until the sugar dissolved (I actually ended up zapping it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm it up more so the water would dissolve quicker.)

Next I got out my large measuring cup to measure the lemon juice as I squeezed them. From my 4 lemons I got about a 1.5 cups so I used lime juice for the remaining 1/2 cup (plus I thought this would give it a more interesting flavor)


Now just add the lemon (& lime) juice and cold water. Stir until well mixed. Pour lemonade over glasses of ice (add a lemon slice or sprig of mint to garnish - I had neither, and plain is just fine too)

~enjoy.

I will be making this lemonade again - especially when summer finally gets here - it will be a tasty, refreshing drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment