Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 145 - Ahh-Hem

Another busy day today! This morning, after getting some work done, I headed to Omaha for a dinner meeting tonight and then a full day of meetings tomorrow. Luckily it was an early dinner and my dad was one of the attendees so that made it more fun. We got back to my parents 8:30. After unwinding a bit, I asked my mom to help me hem. You may recall a previous attempt to hem some new yoga pants that failed . . .

Tonight I hemmed my first anything the old fashioned way - by hand. While I worked on my pants, my mom was nice enough to do a dress for me. See, when I was getting ready this morning, I was ironing a favorite navy dress and I noticed the hem had begun to unravel, rather than attempting to save it, I just pulled it - it was doomed, so I quickly packed it and found something else to wear. The good thing was the dress is navy and so are my yoga pants, so tonight, we shared thread as my mom & I sat on the couch hemming away.

My mom is not a big sewer (she actually gave her sewing machine away a while ago - which made sense since she never touched it) but she is one of 14 children so when it comes to fixing up a quick hem she's a pro.

Since neither of us has a sewing machine we don't have sewing pins either, so I brought a bunch of safety pins with me. First I tried on the pants and then eye-balled how much of a hem I needed. Next I put the pants inside out and pinned back the hem on 1 leg.

Once pinned I tried them on again to make sure I got it right and then began stiching away

Here I am checking the first leg to make sure the length was right.

It only took about 20 minutes for each pant leg - not too bad! One more picture to see the drastic difference (my right leg of the pants still needs to be hemmed in this picture)

Thanks Momma! Hemming, really isn't so bad after all and now that I've done it I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I sewed my first hem at 27 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment