Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 148 - Frozen Lemon Treats

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Mine has officially begun and I couldn't be happier! I actually went to lunch with Quinn and took the rest of the day off so I could finish my desserts for a cook out we are heading to later this evening at our good friend's the Arther's house and to get ready to be in Nebraska the rest of the weekend.

My neighbor Katie gave me the recipe for what is called on the sheet, Lemon Snow Balls. I am not sure I agree with the name, but no matter what you call them they are delicious & refreshing!

Ingredients:

7 Large Lemons
1 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Table spoons of lemon zest
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 cup sugar

(To Do Night Before - I did these first steps last night)
First I zested and juiced 2 lemons (I chose the 2 that were oddly shaped since the remaining lemons were going to be the serving dishes). For the remaining 5 lemons I zested from the bottoms only (and then used a knife to make a level surface for each 'lemon bowl') and sliced them in half length wise. I scooped out the centers (using an ice cream spoon) and collected the juice using a strainer.

Once all the lemons were prepared I tightly wrapped the 'lemon bowls' with plastic wrap and placed them in the freezer to harden over night

Mix lemon juice, milk, cream, sugar & lemon zest well - until all sugar dissolves into mixture. Place into a freezer safe bowl & freeze over night (due to limited freezer space, I used 2 smaller bowls)

(To Do Day of or 8 hours later)
Take frozen 'lemon bowls' and lemon mixture out of the freezer.

Arrange 'lemon bowls' on a serving tray (or a baking dish would work well too)

Scoop lemon mixture into food processor and break up a bit using a fork

Process until smooth, but not runny.

Spoon mixture into lemon bowls (I had enough for probably 4 more lemon bowls, so next time I will prepare a couple more lemons)

I set the filled lemon bowls in the freezer while I prepared some berries to serve with the yummy frozen ice cream/sorbet (not really sure how to classify this other than delicious)

Add berries (the recipe suggested sprigs of mint & raspberries, but since I already had the strawberries & blue berries that is what I used) Once garnished, recover well and freeze for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. (I ended up using my creme brule dishes for the extra). Also, I froze mine with the berries and the frozen berries are interesting, but you could also add the berries just before serving.

Enjoy!! I am hoping to try this same recipe with other citrus fruits later this summer. It's so refreshing and tasty.

1 comment: