Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 136 - Tequila Lime Sauce

Tequila lime sauce with prawns & rice (also the first time I have cooked prawns)

I found this recipe a while ago and have been wanting to make it ever since. I decided to cook prawns & rice to serve with the sauce, but also think shrimp or chicken would be great too!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup white tequila
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 1/2 lime
2 tablespoon minced shallot, 1 shallot
1 teaspoon minced garlic, 2 or 3 large cloves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut up at room temperature

First I prepared the prawns. The were already devained and sliced so I only had to pull the shells off - just like a shrimp. While I was doing this I set a large pan on the oven and let it warm to medium heat with a bit of olive oil in the bottom of the pan, just enough to coat the pan.

Once I had them all set I sprinkled them with some Emril essence &a pinch of salt. I listed below what is in it, if you want to make your own. (I just used the pre-made stuff tonight because I didn't have onion powder, but will try this on my own next time)

Ingredients for Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Once the prawns were ready to cook, I placed them into the hot pan and let them cook for about 3 minutes on each side - just until they turned pink.

While they were cooking I combine the tequila, lime juice, shallots, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a saucepan over high heat and brought it to a boil. (good time to flip prawns). Once it boiled I turned the heat to low and stirred in the cream and let simmer for about 3 minutes - until the prawns were ready.

Once ready I took the pan of prawns off the heat to stop them from cooking and made the rice.

The last step for the sauce - I whisked in the butter and removed the pan from the heat. Off the heat, I whisked until all of the butter was melted & incorporated to the sauce. (The recipe said to use immediately or you can prepare without the butter and refrigerate overnight in an airtight container. Reheat in a saucepan over a low flame. When the sauce is at a simmer, whisk in the butter and continue from there.)

I cooked 1 pound of prawns which was more than enough for the 2 of us, I would say 1 lb. would easily serve 3 people (maybe even 4).

The sauce was delicious! and the prawns & rice made it a great meal. I also cooked up some corn and dinner was served

A couple other tips: I removed and plated the prawns and then added the cooked rice to the pan the prawns were cooked in and tossed that over medium heat for just a minute to give the plain rice more flavor. Once plated I drizzled just a small amount of the sauce over the prawns and onto the rice and then served the rest on the side. Lastly I used some of the extra cilantro to garnish the plate. Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment