Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14 - A New Way to Lend a Helping Hand

Tonight we gave to two amazing organizations. This has by far been my most rewarding day of 'firsts.' To start, I dropped off a large box of gently used items at our local Catholic Charities thrift store, Turn Styles. In the past I have either had the Salvation Army do a pick-up or we dropped off any donation items at the Goodwill, but I have always had a great respect and interest in Catholic Charities. So when I learned they had a local thrift store that first donates to local families in need and then will sell items in their store I knew this was the place to go!

To make it a bit more interesting - I thought of a fun idea: to go through every room in our house and add an item from each to the donations (in our little house, this didn't take too long). Some of the items that were donated today included candle holders, a winter coat and spring jacket, a cute wine case, hot-roller curlers, plenty of clothes and cozy pj's; lastly I added some Christmas decorations and home items.

Here is the box of donations:


In the last couple of days Quinn and I also really wanted to donate to Haiti so we decided - tonight was as good as any! With so many organizations out there we opted to support the Red Cross, because of it's well known reputation. (We are currently going through some pretty major basement fix-ups and our share of other bills, but sometimes these life challenges seem so small when compared to the rest of the worlds needs.) Please help if you can too, no matter how big or small - it will help!!

1 comment: