Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 29 - My First Meringue

Not only have I never made a meringue, but I have never even had one. So tonight, I thought it would be fun to attempt to make them on my own and try them for the first time - a 2 for 1 night of firsts!

I referenced a Ina Garten recipe that I recently saw on the Food Network.

The ingredients:

4 extra - large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

I love how such simple ingredients can easily be transformed into something amazing.

(and for the berries, which will be on here tomorrow)
1 pint fresh strawberries
2 half-pints fresh raspberries
2 half-pints fresh blueberries
2 half-pints fresh blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
Vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
plus heavy cream to make whipped cream

Whipping the egg whites to form stiff peaks

Looks like we got it. Now to add the remaining sugar and vanilla

Next you put the mixture into a pastry bag (or large baggie with the end snipped off)

Pipe the meringue mixture onto parchment paper (I traced circles onto the parchment and then flipped it over to make a template). You start in the center of the circle and make a disk then pipe another layer just on the outter edge to form a little meringue bowl.

A lesson learned - always read the entire recipe. I did not get around to making the meringues until about 6:30 P.M. and they had to bake at 200F for 2 hours and then sit in the oven another 4, so tonight I only made meringues for the first time - check back tomorrow for the finished product

I did break off a little piece of the baked meringue to try it tonight - yummy, I am ready for dessert tomorrow to taste how it all comes together!

No comments:

Post a Comment