Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4 - Come try a Kumquat with me

I have never eaten a kumquat until tonight. I've always thought 'kumquat' was a funny word, but never had any reason to try one - until now. Did you know unlike a kumquat's 'cousin', the orange, that kumquats are to be eaten with the skins & flesh together.

When I bought the kumquats I did not know how to select one, so the package I chose were a bit under ripe, but a few in the mix were pretty good. According to a book I have, Fresh Produce Guide by Dr. Richter's you should choose firm, dry, fully orange fruit with stems. It also mentions that the round variety are generally sweeter and milder than the oval variety (which is what I ended up getting) so now that I know all this I will have to try them again sometime.

The kumquats were interesting but much tangier than the sweet treat I had in mind so my healthy dessert had a change of plans tonight . . .

3 comments:

  1. my dear sweet friend....i must comment!
    your blog is totally rockin!!!! thanks for the new ideas!!! kumquat, honestly, ive never even heard of that fruit, or that word!!!!!!!!!!
    it almost sounds like something i would call someone i was picking on...."you little kumquat" baaaaaaaahahahahahah :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette! What a fun blog! Sounds like you will be busy for the next 360 some days :) But what a great way to celebrate and take notice of everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting fruit...never heard of it! I love citrus fruits I should try is now.

    ReplyDelete