Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 22 - Sushi made by Quinn & Me

It is already day 22 and I only have made 1 meal and 1 dessert (this surprises me) so I knew tonight I wanted my something new to be some type of new recipe or something like that. I had not mentioned this to Quinn, but yesterday while we were talking he mentioned the idea of trying a new sushi place over the weekend and then the light bulb went off - we could make sushi at home.

I was so excited that Quinn helped me think of this and a bit surprised the idea hadn't come to me yet, since I have been wanting to try to make sushi at home for a while now. My parents actually got me a sushi set, Simply Sushi by Steve Pallett that included a recipe book, a makisu (bamboo rolling mat) and a dvd for a Christmas gift - over a year ago. So now that I had all the tools in place all I had to do was to buy the ingredients.

You have to make sure you have very sharp knives!

The sushi set my parents bought me a while ago came with this great DVD - it really is a good resource and I enjoyed learning from it.

Once everything was set out - we made the rice

As the rice was cooking we sliced the cucumber & avocado then we were onto the tuna & salmon. This was the first time I ever sliced either type raw and it was fun!

Slicing the fresh tuna

Adding the rice on top of the seaweed sheets

Time to add all the goodies to the roll

Ta Da!!

Enjoying our first sushi at home!


Other First: Fresh ginger root - Quinn was in charge of the fresh ginger; after peeling it & thinly slicing it he got the flavors just right by cooking it in a vinegar & sugar solution - much better! (Please note as I was setting up all the sushi stuff Quinn went upstairs and changed into his old hopkido outfit - this more than made my day - I love him!)

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to be invited over for sushi! Quinn also needs to wear his outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sushi looks super yummy!! teach me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy - any time (maybe this summer when you are staying with us?!)

    Michelle - I would love to. It really was pretty easy and lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's impressive! Looks yummy~

    ReplyDelete